Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lunar New Year Treats

Today, while doing my usual grocery shopping at the Fair Price, I decided to buy some intriguing looking new year's treats.  Chinese, or Lunar, New Year is coming up soon, starting on February 14th.  The holiday prep is already in full swing in most places around Singapore - my local mall and said grocery store are all decked out and everything is on sale.  And I haven't even been to see Chinatown yet, which I'm sure is much, much more ridiculous.

Anyways, the first treats I bought were these cute turtles.  I'm assuming that turtles are some sort of good luck symbol in Chinese culture, similar to carp fish.  On the outside, they look just like cute turtles...


...but when you open them up they have some sort of jelly candy inside!

The candy was quite hard and sticky.  It had a very sweet, but otherwise faint flavor - maybe coconut?

The next candies I bought were called "mochi jelly".  I have been seeing them all over in various shops and stalls.  Apparently they are from Taiwan. 

I decided to try the strawberry and orange flavors.  Here they are unwrapped:

Upon sampling these, I was actually pleasantly surprised!  They were not too sweet, and were much softer than the turtle jelly.  They also actually had real fruit in them (you can see the strawberry)!

That's it for my culinary adventures tonight.

1 comment: