Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pulau Ubin

Last weekend, I finally made the trip to Pulau Ubin in the company of some friends.  Pulau (meaning island) Ubin is a small (Singaporean island) just off the east coast of Singapore.  It only takes about 10 minutes to reach the island by boat.  However, it's completely different than regular Singapore.  No high rises office buildings or HDBs!  Just small restaurants, a tiny temple, and lots of bike rental shops.  This is because the preferred method of transportation on Pulau Ubin is by bike.  Those of you who have had the opportunity to witness my bike riding skillz (or lack thereof) may be a bit worried, but I am happy to report that we enjoyed a full afternoon of bicycling around and I managed to stay on the bicycle the whole time!

The island is very scenic and features some nice beaches and a wetland.  Here's one of the beaches:
Here was a cool tree that we spotted off the shore from the wetlands.
Also in the wetlands there were a lot of crazy looking banyan trees.
A little later, we rode by a very scenic quarry.
And then we spotted a monkey!

Although it was extremely hot and sweaty (35C=95F and high high humidity), it was a really fun day trip and definitely someplace I'd like to go back to before I leave Singapore.

Exciting news alert!  On Wednesday, I'm leaving for the Philippines.  I'll first be heading to Manila, where I'll be attending and presenting at a conference for all the current Fulbrighters in Southeast Asia.  Then, I'll be heading south to Cebu with my friend Clayton to do some scuba diving for a few days.  So, exciting pictures will be coming up soon!   

No comments:

Post a Comment