Thursday, June 4, 2009

So, after 3 days of travel, I made it to Aarhus. The first stop on my journey was Amsterdam, where I had a day-long layover. I first went to the Anne Frank house, which, although very crowded, which was very cool. Although all the furniture was removed after the house was raided, there were a lot of other artifacts that were left. Then I went to the Dutch Resistance Museum, which was very well done! It had many interesting exhibits about various groups that had roles in the Resistance, such as students, the church, and the Boy Scouts. There were also a lot of neat examples of Nazi propaganda and secret documents from the Resistance. Finally, I went to the Museum of the Tropics, which focused on the Dutch presence in the East Indies. The best part of this museum were the collections of curiosities that Dutchmen had brought back from the colonies, including religious ornaments and preserved lizards and other animals. I also took this opportunity to eat some Schwarma, one of my favorite European foods. However, I don't have any pictures from Amsterdam, because I left my camera in the luggage locker at the airport! This is OK though, because I'll be back there next weekend, so I will extra-remember my camera then!

After a very short stop-over in Copenhagen, I took the train to Aarhus. I live in the dorms on campus, right next to the chemistry building were I will be working. Here is a picture of my dorm:

And here is me in my room:

Then, like any good Scandinavian, I went to Ikea to buy stuff for my room, and of course eat their delicious food. Today, I went out to the main walking street in Aarhus and found the Town Hall. According to my travel book, it was only constructed in 1941, and was very controversial, as it doesn't look as traditional as most town halls in Denmark:
You can also see the Aarhus Cathedral in this picture, although unfortunately they are doing construction on the facade. Apparently there are frescos inside that depict gory scenes from the Bible.

And for all you Norsk mythology fans...

It is pretty common for houses/buildings to be named in Denmark, although I'm not sure how that tradition got started. As I was waiting for the bus, I noticed that the building across the street was named "Yggdrasil", which to me seems like a slightly presumptuous name for a building.

Lauryn

5 comments:

  1. Wow! How cool that you saw Anne Frank's house! I am super jealous! Also I love your dorm. You should have plants on the balcony things! Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and your weird museums. also, cute bedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yeah! you love the museums!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what Yggdrasil means/refers to, my little cheese Danish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind--I missed the "for all you Norse Mythology fans" part...You obviously know what you are referring to, and I'm a big-headed dunceboy.

    If you ever have the chance, check out (might be online) Frost's essay "The Future of Man." In it he posits Yggdrasil as a countermetaphor to that of Evolution and more generally endless growth, as he believes evolution has come into our culture as a belief. It's pretty innaresting.

    ReplyDelete