Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Two Sides of Danish People

Danish people, in general, tend to have dichotomous personalities.

Normally, Danes are very cold and take a long time to warm up to people. Danish people even acknowledge that this is true about their culture. I find this occurs much more in the males than in the females. For example, I sit in an office with 5 male grad students, not one of whom will talk to me. Fortunately, the two female grad students I do lab work with are a bit nicer and chattier. But if you enter a store or a restaurant, the employees will not greet you, and ask if you need anything. If someone runs into you on the street, they will not say "excuse me" or "sorry", just push right past you. This can make it quite hard to be a foreigner here, when you're used to people being a bit more outgoing. The other day I was really down about this because not a lot of people in my lab talk to me, so it makes work quite boring. I was really grumpy and kicking myself for not moving to a country with nicer, friendlier, inhabitants. Then, Friday Bar happened.

Friday Bar is what high school and university students do on Friday afternoons. Its basically a low key party at your school building with beer and snacks. At 4 PM on Friday, my coworker/friend Kirsten stops by my office to tell me that they are drinking beer in her office. We sit around for awhile drinking beer in the office, and then go to the Physics Friday Bar, because the Chemistry Friday Bar was closed this week. This is when the other side of the Danish personality came out.

The other side of the Danish personality is wonderful! Once you get a beer or two into a Dane, and they open up to you, they are fun and welcoming people. They love to hear about how things are different in the U.S., and are always interested in what Americans think about Denmark (I told them that we think that Scandinavians are crazy people who drink lots of beer and run around naked, and affirmed that my description pretty much summed it up). Danish people even have a special word to describe this kind of activity/situation: hyggeligt. The best translation for this is "cozy", but that is not altogether correct. It best means when Danish people open up and are friendly and you're just sitting around chatting and drinking beer and maybe eating some good food. So, Friday Bar with my labmates was great fun! We drank beer, ate pizza, and talked about all sorts of topics. I met some more of the chemistry students, as well as a couple Chinese postdocs (they exist in every lab, all over the world) who were impressed that I am going to Singapore. And I found out that a couple guys in my lab scuba dive, and were considering going in DK, so maybe I will get some diving in. Finally, at midnight, I gave up and went home, but they were still partying; I have no idea what time they made it home.

So, although sometimes hard to deal with, Danes are good people in the end. Although this kind of culture without pleasantries is somewhat uncomfortable for me, having grown up in one that requires all sorts of false sentiment to be considered "polite", I have to wonder if it's better to just do away with all of them. It would certainly stream-line things, and the Danes seem to do just fine without them. And really, isn't it more impolite to ask some stranger how their day is going, when you don't care at all about their day, than to lie to their face and pretend to care?

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is somewhere that is an inbetween the US and Denmark.. where "excuse mes" and apologies are used, but over the top sincerity is not.. Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have the Danes still continued their friendship after the party finishes? I entitled their friday bar activities as short-term interaction with people. Having a good party with a Dane doesn't mean that you will be friend with him/her the day after!

    This is also fact in Denmark that being an American or a Turk differ a lot. So I am curious of your experience if you could manage to have friendship in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically impossible. From my experience with them at university for four years, you don't know them, you have to be one of them or they will keep you out of their clique. Someone could be at a bar with them, and maybe they will open up because of the atmosphere as a meet up place as a bar is, but the next day, they pretend they never met you if you walk by them on the street. If your from Turkey, you'll notice the contrast more because the Turkish are friendly and want to know people, are family oriented and sociable. People from the US can't really fix this either. My dad is from Sweden and also has taken business trips to Denmark, he said you never really know them, and when in Denmark, try to find people from other countries in your same situation. :)

      Delete
    2. They can switch off their personality, like they never saw you before. I didn't understand this at school at all. In class there were Danes who sat by the window , they would put coats and stuff in chairs to make people think the chairs were taken and wait for their friends, other Danes. They acted like they owned the place, a bit of a superiority attitude I would say. They were in someone else's country and treated us as " servants" . One came to my dorm room and told me " I have to borrow your car" not " May I please but a very curt " have to". I told them I don't let people drive my car and this person said " think of me as your employer and you're the employee, you do as I say " I closed the door and locked it. It was a very uncomfortable experience, and when I asked them why they said that the next day while they walked by me on the way to class, they treated me like I wasn't there, I mean really how rude can anyone be. They feel entitled it seems, and if they don't have their way, that's it, no more communication.

      Delete
  3. I think it's actually kind of a sad sign that they so desperately need alcohol as a social lubricant. and although I'm no fan of small talk myself, it sure is easier to get to know someone feeling confident in starting with a small "how are you doing?" or "where are you from?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Dane, I can see how difficult it must be for a foreigner to come visit us.
    Please don't judge us too harshly. Our culture is different, and there are a lot of "unsaid" things going on.

    I know I can't speak for every Dane, but only those I've met.

    We're honest, and honesty doesn't insult us.

    Personally, I always apolegize if I'm bumping or bumped into, knowing they'll either feel content and positive or guilty for not giving me the respect I've given them.
    Most of the time there's a little back and forth of "Oh, it's nothing! Totally my fault. Have a great day." whether it's their fault or not.
    If they still ignore you, they're being rude or have too much happening in their mind to pay attention to their surroundings - happens rarely to me, though!

    We rely heavily on body-language because we don't want to intrude on others. Like speaking to them and forcing them to acknowledge us, silly as it seems.
    We see another approach our path and move, so we won't bump into each other, maybe give a small smile as eyes meet. This spreads respect and positivity because by doing so, you show that you've intentionally not imposed while showing them you see them, their space, and respectfully kept your distance.

    It's very true that it's hard for outsiders to join an inner circle - and that's not just with foreigners, but local folk experience this as well.
    I can't even help you on that one because I suffer from social anxiety and am pretty much a lone wolf.
    What I do know about our social habits are that politeness, positivity and being aware and considerate of others attract said others. They may already have their circle of friends, but I can almost assure you that if you act out these things, feeling them honestly, they may let you in.
    But don't fret if they turn you down. In my experience, no person around the world dislikes a kind stranger. They may just have their loyal and trusted crew that they need in their lives.

    Relationships takes time, and in Denmark, friendship builds just like that. Those are the kind we want - the lasting, true and heartfelt kind of friends.

    We're known for being shy, so please don't shy away from taking initiative socially (without being aggressive) :)

    Also, I know plenty of people that don't drink that much. I drink maybe once or twice a year (pretty much like them). Then again, maybe that's just my family ;)

    All the good wishes for you and your future!

    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have to make people drunk, to make them friendly, why bother. I've known Danes and you never know them, ever. They're not shy, they're basically with some small exceptions rude and cold. I knew some because of university,and happy school is over with. I tried to be friends with them and they were cliquish, and why were they at SJSU anyway. The Dutch are more depressed, but have bouts of happiness. Why would people act like that at your own unnivrsity, I live in the Bay Area normally, and we are a friendly lot, but really some people are impossible. My dad is from Sweden and has told me that you can only know a Dane about 20 percent, the 80 percent is left unknown. I don't drink, so that's another reason to not bother. People from Norway are nice, they are polite and want to know others, the Swedish can be loners, but are nice and open up when they trust someone.

    ReplyDelete